Saturday, April 12, 2008

Oh It's Such A Perfect Day, I'm Glad I Spent It With You. ~ Lou Reed

What a perfect day. It was 80° in Portland! I guess it never gets this warm this early in the season. I am so happy. I have missed the warm sun. I have seen the sun since I moved here but it hasn’t been warm. In Denver, we can have wonderfully warm days in the middle of winter but here you see the sun, get excited, run outside, and it is freezing! So not fair. ☺

Anyhoo, I went to Bikram this morning. I grabbed my right foot in the Full Bow pose! I still can’t grab both feet without some help but I can now grab each foot by itself! This is exciting for me. I have blown out both of my knees in skiing and mountain biking accidents. I have babied my knees for years. I would baby them in every yoga class, Nia class, or during any kind of exercise. I was so scared of the pain I felt when I injured them. Now? Now I charge forward in these yoga classes. I am bending my knees as hard as I can. There are some pretty loud and gross pops and creaks but it feels SO good. I still baby them while I am at home but in that heated studio I am knee squatting fool!

After class, I was in the locker room and two different women told me that I was improving so well. One girl, “C”, has been so supportive since my first couple of classes. She told me that my poses are looking great, my breathing is almost perfectly calm, and she can’t believe how quickly I built up my endurance. Then she gave me a great big hug. She is such a nice girl. I hope we can become friends outside of the studio. I am scared to ask her to go get coffee or something because of the Seattle Freeze. Yes, I live in Portland but I have been warned there is a Freeze here too.

Here is a description of the Seattle Freeze by the Seattle Times:

Those who move to Seattle also have another kind of story. But you don't broadcast this one. You keep it to yourself or whisper it to other transplants. It goes something like this:
You're talking to a co-worker/someone at a party/fill in the blank. In any other town, this person looks like someone with whom you might be friends. Potential friend asks, "So what are you up to this weekend?"
"Oh, I don't have any plans yet. I just moved to Seattle and don't really know anybody . . ."
You try not to look desperate.
Friend-to-be smiles and, for a brief, shining moment you think to yourself: Finally, someone is going to ask me to do something. Invite me to a party. Happy hour. Brunch with the girls. It'll be just like "Sex and the City." She'll be Charlotte; you'll be Carrie!
You feel a chill coming on. Still smiling, Friend-Not-On-Your-Life politely excuses herself, "Well, have a nice weekend then."
Ouch.
You've just experienced the infamous Seattle Freeze. It's the flip side of Seattle Nice. Welcome to Seattle . . . Now please go away.


I am scared of the Freeze. I don’t want to ask her to do something, get the cold shoulder, and then it be awkward at classes. Wow, it sounds like I am asking her out on a date. I have experienced this already with moms at playgrounds and mom groups. Very, very cliquey.

This having to make new friends is new to me. I have had my same group of friends in Denver for over 15 years. My best friend and I have known each other for 20. How do you make new friends? I sound really pathetic. LOL

Back to my perfect day. After class we drove up to Vancouver to sign some papers. From there we drove to the Multnomah Falls. What in the hell were we thinking?!?! The warmest day of the year so far and it’s a Saturday. We saw the falls from the road and quickly hightailed it out of there back to Portland. We stopped for lunch at Seasons & Regions for a late lunch. I hadn’t eat since 630 a.m. and I was starving! I ordered the eggs benedict with crab cakes. Holy moly it was good. Crab cake, eggs benedict..seriously YUM! I am proud of myself. I only ate the benedicts. I didn’t eat the freshly made scone and home fries that came with it. We headed home, changed clothes, and then walked up to the playground to let the Bug run free. We were up there for about an hour and then it was time to come home.

Agnes is asleep, Sean and I just a couple pieces of a Cheese deLite (1/2 carbs & ½ calories of regular pizza) pizza from Papa Murphy’s.

What a perfect day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michelle - I am MOST proud of you!!! I can't believe you are so bold to do these things!!! Good for you and keep up the good work!
As far as the friend thing - you won't know unless you try...it is harder the older we become...but just ask...it won't hurt!!! And I do believe that some of that Freeze stuff is perpetuated on it's own accord and can be broken if one just steps outside their comfort zone.
xxx
jody