Wednesday, March 19, 2008
The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight because by then, your body and your fat are really good friends
Met with the dietician yesterday. She was great! I felt totally at ease talking to her about my weight and bad eating habits. I was so nervous about giving her my food journal. I thought for sure she would tell me how horrible I am. She didn't say one bad thing about it. What she did say is there is room for improvement but that I don't need to deprive myself of anything. She wants me to practice Mindful Eating.
Here are the tips she gave me:
1. Make eating purposeful, not mindless.
2. Whenever you put food in your mouth, peel it, unwrap it, plate it, and sit and eat it.
3. Engage all of the senses in the pleasure of eating to nourish your body.
4. See what you eat. Enjoy the presentation, colors, and texture of the food.
5. Take a few seconds to enjoy the aroma of the food in front of you.
6. Take a moment before you start eating to relax. Take a few deep breaths.
7. Slow down! Eat the lower calorie items on your plate first or eat in courses. This may be helpful to decrease the portions of the higher calorie food items because you will begin to feel more satisfied, less hungry.
8. Remove visual stimulus to eat at home, office, and in your car.
9. Practice, practice, practice.
10. MINDFUL EATING IS A BEHAVIOR CHANGE. IT TAKES TIME!!
She gave me a couple of book titles to get. I ordered those off of abebooks.com. Super cheap, used books. There are some items made by Kashi she wants to me to have in the house as well.
Overall, I think it was a very positive experience and I am hoping this old dog can learn some new tricks!