Friday, October 3, 2008

My Kitchen, My World - Equador

I'm back! Well, kind of. I made a couple of really easy things this week. Hopefully I should be back to myself next week and can cook something more challenging.

This week for My Kitchen, My World Shelby of The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch chose the country of Ecuador. I thought I knew what to expect but I was so wrong. I couldn't believe some of the amazing recipes I came upon. Since I am still recovery from my surgery I decided to make soup and something to go with it. This is what I found!

I made Locro (potato soup) and Pristinos (pumpkin fritters). Can you say YUM?!?! This menu reminded me a lot of my Grandma. When it is cold outside she will make potato soup and grebel. Grebel are a Germans from Russisa (Volga German) doughnut. They are one of then most favorite things my Grandma cooks.

I made this Ecuadorian dinner in honor of my Grandma. :)


Locro ~ Potato Soup

INGREDIENTS:
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter
1 teaspoon sweet paprika (Use the best you can find. I use Penzey's Hungarian Sweet. It was perfect)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 cup each milk and light cream
1/2 pound Munster cheese, grated
salt

In a large, heavy saucepan heat the butter and stir in the paprika. Add the onion and saute over moderate heat until the onion is softened. Pour in 4 cups water, bring to a boil, and the potatoes, and simmer over low heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally. When the potatoes are almost done, add the milk and cream and continue to cook, stirring from time to time, until the potatoes begin to disintegrate. Stir the cheese into the potatoes, season to taste with salt, and serve immediately. Avocado slices are sometimes served with the Locro, on separate plates but to be eaten at the same time.


Truly delish. I love that there are so few ingredients. It is the best potato soup I have ever had. Be sure and sprinkle paprika on top before serving. It just adds to the depth of flavors. I doubled the recipe so I could freeze the leftovers.


Pristinos ~ Pumpkin Fritters

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 pound (1/2 cup) butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup cooked, mashed West Indian pumpkin (calabaza)
oil or lard for deep frying

CINNAMON SYRUP:
2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1-inch piece of stick cinnamon

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Add the cheese. Work the butter into the mixture with your fingers, then the pumpkin with a fork. The pumpkin should supply enough moisture to make a soft but not sticky dough. Turn the dough onto a floured board and roll out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut it into strips 1 inch wide and 6 inches long. Form each strip into a ring, pinching the ends lightly together. Deep fry in hot oil or lard (350 F to 365 F.) until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels and serve with cinnamon syrup.
CINNAMON SYRUP: In a saucepan combine the sugar with 1 cup water and the cinnamon stick. Stir the mixture to dissolve the sugar and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.


I McGyvered the pristinos. I wanted something kind of sweet so I substituted the cheese with sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. When I brought them out of the oil I sprinkled them with a cinnamon/sugar mix. So good. I can't wait to have more with brekkie tomorrow.

It is rainy and cold here today. We ate in the living room tonight in front of the fire place. What a perfect Autumn dinner.

7 comments:

Susie Homemaker said...

Paprika! Nice! And those fritters? Seriously. Whoa.
But best of all - Agnes. God, she's just gorgeous!

NKP said...

I could use some of your soup right now. My fingers are freezing - fall is definitely here in Ontario. Great job, can I have a pumpkin donut?

Dewi said...

I'd like to have one of that pritinos please. Both dish look so delicious!

Teresa said...

The soup sounds delicious! I may have to try it soon since I happen to have some Munster cheese in the fridge for some reason!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Michelle, everything looks perfect! I almost made those pristinos last night with my locro but skipped, I even had the recipe printed out but we had a busy evening. I was curious about the parmesan cheese in there :) Great job and welcome back, I hope you are healing quickly!

Shelby said...

The soup and fritters both look delicious!

Shandy said...

Ooohhh! Your potato soup looks so much tastier then mine (Yeppers, I made a potato soup too =).) The pumpkin fritters sound delicious =D